Bashley’s Vase Dream Shattered by Aimson Double Fracture

Bashley 1 Lymington Town 4
FA Vase end Qualifying Round
Saturday 14th September 2019

Bashley’s dream of Vase glory was shattered in the tenth minute when influential defender Lewis Aimson fell awkwardly to earth after rising to meet a corner. The crack, when he fell on his arm, was loud and ominous.

The unfortunate Lewis who had just returned from a serious leg injury and, before that a broken collar bone, achieved an unwanted treble when a double fracture of his lower arm was diagnosed.

The writing was on the wall for Bashley before this incident as in the third minute of play they conceded a penalty when Dominic Falco was needlessly brought down; the conversion of which was bread and butter to prolific scorer Michael Gosney.

Tom Betts replaced the hospital bound Aimson just in time to see Falco brush aside the now unsettled defence to score with relative ease. The onslaught continued and it took a double save from Jason Collins in the Bash goal to keep the game alive.

This reprieve didn’t last long, and it was Steve Flynn who was next to help himself to the largesse of the home defence when he drifted through to slot home a third goal for the visitors.

It took until to the final minutes of the half before punch-drunk Bashley cleared their heads and a ferocious drive by Harry McGrath, that almost hospitalised the goal side spectators as it hurtled past the post, gave hope of a revival.

The break served its purpose and a revitalised Bashley took to the field, Lymo keeper Nic Jones was called to action when Harry Morgan went close after being put through by a Jack Smith assist. The breakthrough came when McGrath cantered down the right, moved inside and his shot, tangent to both goal mouth and keeper and found the far corner of the net.

Bashley, unfortunately, were back in the game for just two minutes! A freekick was awarded the visitors some 35 yards out right of goal. With a packed defence in place, this didn’t ring alarm bells but the sight of Gosney on the ball should have done as the ball was in the net before anyone moved!

Despite the almost hopelessness of their position, Bashley now started to dominate the play, Conor Whiteley and Harry Bruce came on an added a creative touch to the forward play but despite their efforts and a goalmouth melee that saw Jones scramble-saving from Morgan, Bunce and Betts, scoring was not on the Bash menu.

Bashley: Collins, Smith, Aimson, Strickland, Morris, Thompson, Webber, Ross, McGrath, Morgan, Prior
Used Subs: Betts, Whiteley, Bunce
Att: 167

Action photo taken by Flynn McKee (Harry Morgan (No.10) and Lewis Ross with Lymington’s Tim Stephenson (Ex Bashley) on the right.